Wednesday, February 4, 2015

Yummy Healthy Chili





I have a sweet spot for chili! I'm not really a sweets person, I'm a FOOD person. Especially classic homemade dinners! I grew up in a big Italian family where we were expected to all get together at least 3 times a week.... and food was always the center piece to every visit.

I'm pretty skilled in making my own pasta and sauce. And I have zero limits. We always went big! Sunday dinner was..... salad, bread, spaghetti or gnocchi, roast, potatoes, hot peppers, and veggies.
My Nono (Italian for grandpa) was a very strict, old fashioned guy. I remember they had a big meat cellar where they stored meats and cheese, and sliced it fresh, our own personal deli!!!
After that big dinner, he would nap and watch the game, then announce he was ready for pizza. I was his personal chef assistant and would help cut fresh pepperoni and roll out the dough. More carbs for everyone!

Since hitting my late 20 I've since learned healthy versions of my favorite family recipes, my metabolism isn't what it used to be!

One favorite: chili!

Here's a really yummy and satisfying alternative to the usual chili we all know and love! Best part.... make a huuuge batch and freeze for later!!
》》》》》》》《《《《《《《《

INGREDIENTS >

2 lbs 99% fat-free ground turkey
1 yellow onion, chopped
5 cloves garlic, minced
1 Tbsp olive oil
1 (28 oz) can crushed tomatoes, no-salt added
1 (15 oz) can petite diced tomatoes, no-salt added
3 Tbsp tomato paste
1/2 tsp. hot sauce (I used Texas Pete)
1 (15 oz) can kidney beans, no-salt added, drained and rinsed
1 red bell pepper, chopped
1 green bell pepper, chopped
2 jalapenos, chopped
1 1/2 tsp. sea salt
Pinch of pepper
1 packet Stevia
3 Tbsp chili powder
2 tsp. oregano
1/8 tsp. cayenne pepper

NSTRUCTIONS >

Drizzle olive oil in a large pot and saute onion and garlic until fragrant, about 3 minutes.

Add ground turkey and cook until crumbled and brown, draining excess liquid as necessary.

Add all the rest of the ingredients and cook on medium/low heat for about an hour.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate the comments! Thanks for sharing!