Wednesday, September 16, 2015

Shrimp and Veggie Pasta

I posted about this recipe on my Facebook page and wanted to get it written down more permanently so I can share it with all of my favorite people... you guys! Because LAWD knows we do not have time trying to trace out steps on Facebook to find a recipe.

This is a version that I changed slightly from something that I found on Pinterest... shocker!

What really interested me most about it was that it uses butter, but I changed the butter to oil and it was just as DELISH!

Please excuse my non exact measurements here... I spent MANY HOURS in a kitchen with my Italian grandmother and I don't think she ever even owned a measuring cup. True story... she used the microwave as a bread box and never turned it on. And even though I use my microwave to heat food, I keep my bread in there too.

So here we go....



Shrimp and Veggie Pasta


What you will need:
  • fettuccine... I chose a whole grain option 
  • olive oil
  • shrimp (i bought 1/2 pound fresh at the grocery store, frozen is good too)
  • grape tomatoes (handful)
  • asparagus (i used the ends, so about 3 inches from top)
  • mushrooms (chopped to desired size) 
  • cooked spinach (I bought the frozen and added in about a handful)
  • paprika
  • red pepper flakes
  • sea salt (if desired)
  • minced garlic (small teaspoon)
  • cooking spray
Directions:
  • Spray pan and add oil. Add in minced garlic and let simmer.
  • Add shrimp to the pan and cook for about 1 minute on each side until no longer pink. Hit the tops of them with paprika... you won't need a lot.
  • Add in asparagus, mushrooms, tomatoes (I cut mine in half or smaller) and spinach.. stir. Add in more olive oil if you think it needs it. Cover to steam veggies. 
  • Dash of red pepper flakes to taste.
  • In the meantime, boil the pasta according to the directions. Do not overcook! Drain and RINSE with cold water to stop the cooking process. 
  • Add pasta to the pan and stir. Add in oil if needed (I added more oil here, not when I put in the veggies). 2 tablespoons max. I hit it with sea salt to taste as well.
  • Cover to steam. I cooked together for about 5 minutes until the veggies were tender and everything was coated. 

Everything is to taste. Salt, pepper flakes, garlic, oil... just do not OVER season or use TOO MUCH oil (it will get greasy). The veggies and shrimp will release natural moisture so be aware that you probably don't need a ton of oil.

The original recipe called for butter with the oil. I excluded it and the lemon. You can squeeze a lemon on top when you add the pasta, for taste. 

Love this easy recipe and hope you do too! It was a hit with my kids! Great way to sneak in veggies!


No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate the comments! Thanks for sharing!