Wednesday, April 8, 2015

Let's Get Real... Dealing with Hypoglycemia

So can we real talk for a minute?

I get a lot of questions about my fitness routines. And you guys probably see some of my pictures or videos of me doing various programs.
But there's something a little deeper in there that I'd love to finally talk about........



For me to be able to get through a cardio based high intensity workout like Insanity Max 30, it takes a lot of my strength. Not because I am scared, or lazy... but because I actually have a really hard time doing cardio workouts. I get super short of breath and my energy just goes down so quickly. I prefer to do workouts that are a little slower and more strength based, because I can breathe, take my time, and let me blood flow.
When I was young, sometime in grade school, I found out that I have hypoglycemia. After years of wondering what the heck was wrong with me, I got blood work done and found out that my sugar levels are extremely low. I used to pass out when I'd get too hot and get light headed all the time... I remember my mom blow drying my hair as a kid and feeling woozy.
Since then it has been an endless struggle and war to figure out how to keep myself balanced and healthy at the same time. I have to make sure I eat the right things, drink the right things, and keep my sugar level up (without using artificial bad sugars) just to get through the day... and to get through a workout.
Getting through something very intense like Insanity Max 30 takes a lot of my energy. I have to sit down, I have to drink flavored water to keep my sugar going, and I have to make sure I don't get too hot.
When I went to my first Piyo class, in Vegas at Summit, last year, I had a million reservations about liking the program. I really dislike yoga, I tried it, but it way too slow for me. Sorry!! hehe! But little did I know, I would find the workout that happily balances my love for fun music and strength training. I'm getting in my cardio and strength, without having to bust my butt for an hour on a treadmill, having a hard time breathing because my sugar is getting low.
Piyo lets me breathe.... it let's me be calm... but it challenges me! I still struggle with my sugar but I feel like I can get through a workout without having to absolutely kill myself. I feel GOOD afterwards!! Like every other normal person on the planet!
It is still a daily struggle, but I learn more and more each day about myself and my limits. I know there are others out there who deal with this, and probably feel pretty helpless like me sometimes. It is not like diabetes where there is something you can attach to yourself to feel better... we just sort of have to figure it out as we go!
I encourage anyone who struggles with getting through workouts, to never give up. It just may not be for you. I would love to be the person who can get through a 45 minute Insanity workout, but I have to listen to my body and go with the flow!!

Contact me:
www.facebook.com/erika.levarse
email: mommyburgh@gmail.com
twitter: pghmommy
insta: pghmommy 

xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate the comments! Thanks for sharing!